Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dudcolony

1040 box 11A Off on Tax Bracket

I am married, filing jointly.  My taxable income, as shown in box 10 is $55,109.  Per the IRS tax table, it appears that my Tax in box 11A should be $6,234.  TurboTax instead shows $6,228, which is the value for the previous bracket.  I am using this IRS to view the tax table:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

How is TurboTax determining to place me within the $55,050 to 55,100 tax bracket?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dudcolony

There is a FAQ on this:

The "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet—Line 11a" sheet can be found here:

I think that TurboTax could be more clear on this by showing the forms that they ultimately used for a tax return in the PDF that they generate for review of that return.  Individuals are responsible for reviewing their returns, but without seeing these forms one is left to hunt and to figure it out themself.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dudcolony

There is a FAQ on this:

The "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet—Line 11a" sheet can be found here:

I think that TurboTax could be more clear on this by showing the forms that they ultimately used for a tax return in the PDF that they generate for review of that return.  Individuals are responsible for reviewing their returns, but without seeing these forms one is left to hunt and to figure it out themself.

Most likely, you have qualified dividends or long-term capital gains, which are taxed at a lower rate than earned income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies