Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aieadavid
Returning Member

1031 related party son in law

For tax planning purposes, I have been unable to find a definitive answer regarding whether my son in law (my daughters spouse) counts as a related party for a 1031 exchange. I know that my spouse would be a related party, but I see no definitive answer on whether my son in law is also a relate party.

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The Section 1031 related party rules are controlled by Section 267(b) and an in-law would not be considered a "related party" for the purpose of the like-kind exchange.

However, a couple of caveats:

1) There could be an issue if they reside in a community property state; and

2) If your son-in-law decides to transfer all or part of the property to your daughter at some point, the IRS could view that as a step transaction. 

You should absolutely consult with local legal counsel as well as a local exchange facilitator with respect to this matter.

aieadavid
Returning Member

The reason I was looking at this is to secure the replacement property before selling the 1031 property. Just in case a good deal came up and I could have my son in law purchase the property before I sold the 1031 property.

I don't think I'm following the logic; what's the difference between your plan and a reverse exchange?

aieadavid
Returning Member

The reverse exchange by the exchange company will charge $10K+ vs. a standard exchange of $1k plus closing cost.

Understood, but then your son-in-law is going to wind up with your relinquished property (which I suppose is not an issue provided he's willing to hold it or sell it outright). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies