turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid for renovations on an office my company is leasing, where am I supposed to input the cost in TT Business?

Is this considered a capital expenditure even though I do not own the space and cannot take the assets if I leave? If it helps, it was new flooring, kitchen cabinets, and some plumbing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I paid for renovations on an office my company is leasing, where am I supposed to input the cost in TT Business?

You'll enter this as an asset (Leasehold Improvement) in TurboTax Business just like you would enter a new computer purchase. The IRS sets a period of 15 years for leasehold improvements. 

However, if the tenant leaves before the 15 year depreciation period is up, the balance of the un-depreciated leasehold improvement is then deducted in the year the lease is terminated.  Therefore, you will not lose any of the deduction if you don't stay in the lease for 15 years.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

You'll enter this as an asset (Leasehold Improvement) in TurboTax Business just like you would enter a new computer purchase. The IRS sets a period of 15 years for leasehold improvements. 

However, if the tenant leaves before the 15 year depreciation period is up, the balance of the un-depreciated leasehold improvement is then deducted in the year the lease is terminated.  Therefore, you will not lose any of the deduction if you don't stay in the lease for 15 years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies