turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

barbdaus

Sale of 2nd home...I sold my 2nd property in a state other than where I live and work. I want to know how to remove that investment from my residence state

I am filing a tax return for the 2nd state - but don't want to pay tax in both states for the sale of this property

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sale of 2nd home...I sold my 2nd property in a state other than where I live and work. I want to know how to remove that investment from my residence state

You don't remove the sale of the property from your resident state tax return.  First, you report the sale federally and in your non-resident state.  Pay taxes, if any, on the sale to the non-resident state.  Your resident state will tax you on all your income, but give you a credit for taxes paid to the other state.  You are not double-taxed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You don't remove the sale of the property from your resident state tax return.  First, you report the sale federally and in your non-resident state.  Pay taxes, if any, on the sale to the non-resident state.  Your resident state will tax you on all your income, but give you a credit for taxes paid to the other state.  You are not double-taxed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies