Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fuzz-face

Donated toys to Toys for Tots that were purchased at Walmart. I do not have a Toys for Tots receipt. Can I use the Walmart receipt for proof?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
cp-davis5

Donated toys to Toys for Tots that were purchased at Walmart. I do not have a Toys for Tots receipt. Can I use the Walmart receipt for proof?

how do you list this on its deductable
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

If you just dropped the toys off in a bin at Walmart you can claim the donation and use the Walmart receipts as a basis for the amount.  It is possible to deduct these donations on your taxes as long as you plan to itemize. 

If your donation is less than $250, you can claim a deduction for clothes (or toys) left in a drop-off bin without a receipt from the charity. Typically, you need a receipt, but the IRS specifically lists an unattended drop-site donation as an instance for which getting a receipt is impractical. You do, however, need to keep a record of what you donated, when and where you donated it and the charity to which you donated it in case your deduction is questioned.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

Yes you can. 

If you donate items to an unmanned drop box, you can still claim the deduction.  However, you need to have the name and address of the charity, the drop box location, a detailed list of the items donated and the value.
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

You cannot - the Walmart receipt only shows you bought toys.  You need a receipt from the charity.
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I agree with boy Djay and Mom, if the goods were dropped of at an unattended box.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies