turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

p3flyguy2

Can i write off a car alarm for a business vehicle

Purchased a car for use exclusively in business (shced C) and to protect my tools carried in the vehicle, I had dark tint and a car alarm installed.  Can I write off the tint and alarm?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PeterM

You can write those expenses off, but this would preclude you from claiming any mileage expense. The IRS allows you to claim the greater of either your actual expenses for the vehicle, or the standard mileage rate. The rate in 2016 was $.54...so if you drove 10,000 business miles your deduction using the standard mileage rate would be $5,400. If your actual expenses (including those you mentioned) are less than the amount produced by the standard mileage rate, you'd want to go with the standard mileage rate. Please see the following IRS publication for more information:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PeterM

You can write those expenses off, but this would preclude you from claiming any mileage expense. The IRS allows you to claim the greater of either your actual expenses for the vehicle, or the standard mileage rate. The rate in 2016 was $.54...so if you drove 10,000 business miles your deduction using the standard mileage rate would be $5,400. If your actual expenses (including those you mentioned) are less than the amount produced by the standard mileage rate, you'd want to go with the standard mileage rate. Please see the following IRS publication for more information:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies