Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deduct rental car, W2 earner - Hello, My Wife and I only have 1 car. I'm working for a company 400 miles away. I rented a car for travel there. Can I deduct the expenses?

Relocated to Irvine, CA. Wife and I only have 1 car so I was traveling to the Bay Area every other week via rental car. Can I write off the expenses associated with traveling or just the car? I was staying with my parents when I was working in the Bay Area. The rental cars were getting expensive though.

I'm at W2 earner, not self employed, commission only, mortgage sales
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Deduct rental car, W2 earner - Hello, My Wife and I only have 1 car. I'm working for a company 400 miles away. I rented a car for travel there. Can I deduct the expenses?

You cannot deduct the car, unfortunately. Neither the rental or the travel expenses qualify as your job-related expenses. It is considered commuting at this point, no matter how far you had to travel.

Basically I originate mortgage loans all over the state. What if I needed to use the car to meet clients? Would that count towards 2106 expenses or any other schedule?
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, that would count... if you travel from one job location to another, that IS your work-related expense; just not the distance from home to 1st job location and then back home.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies