turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moving Expenses: I drove my car, my Dad drove his truck, & pulled trailer. Can i say that both mileages coutn in my MILES driven to new location?

My car's miles driven 978.  My Dad's Truck Driven 978,  Can i claim that it took 1956 Miles to move?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Moving Expenses: I drove my car, my Dad drove his truck, & pulled trailer. Can i say that both mileages coutn in my MILES driven to new location?

Yes, if you meet the moving expense deduction qualifications you can use the mileage for both vehicles. For your Dad's truck you can pay him the fee for using his truck, which would be the same as the mileage expense and then use mileage for you vehicle. The mileage rate for moving expense is 17 cents per mile driven for moving purposes.  The actual cost for gas and/or tolls may be more advantageous.

Qualifying expenses

All of the expenses you claim must be both reasonable and necessary to your move. Reasonable moving expenses may include the cost of gas or the mileage on your vehicle, rental trucks, short-term storage, and boxes. For a long move, you might include the cost of lodging at a hotel on the way to your new home.

The IRS allots a standard mileage rate that you can use to calculate your travel expenses, but if you prefer, you can keep up with your actual transportation costs and deduct those instead. Eligible travel costs include gas, oil, parking fees, and tolls.

Distance Test: Your move will meet the distance test if your new main job location is at least 50 miles farther from your former home than your old main job location was from your former home. For example, if your old main job location was 3 miles from your former home, your new main job location must be at least 53 miles from that former home. Use the worksheet in Publication 521-Moving Expense if necessary.

Time Test: If you are an employee, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months after you arrive in the general area of your new job location (39-week test). Full-time employment depends on what is usual for your type of work in your area. (78 weeks of the first 24 months for self employment)

Time Test Not Yet Met -You can deduct your moving expenses on your 2017 tax return even though you haven't met the time test by the date your 2017 return is due. You can do this if you expect to meet the 39-week test in 2018. 

Moving expenses can be entered by following the steps here. 

1. Search for moving > Jump to moving
  2. Follow the screens to enter your moving expenses
  3. Click the images attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you meet the moving expense deduction qualifications you can use the mileage for both vehicles. For your Dad's truck you can pay him the fee for using his truck, which would be the same as the mileage expense and then use mileage for you vehicle. The mileage rate for moving expense is 17 cents per mile driven for moving purposes.  The actual cost for gas and/or tolls may be more advantageous.

Qualifying expenses

All of the expenses you claim must be both reasonable and necessary to your move. Reasonable moving expenses may include the cost of gas or the mileage on your vehicle, rental trucks, short-term storage, and boxes. For a long move, you might include the cost of lodging at a hotel on the way to your new home.

The IRS allots a standard mileage rate that you can use to calculate your travel expenses, but if you prefer, you can keep up with your actual transportation costs and deduct those instead. Eligible travel costs include gas, oil, parking fees, and tolls.

Distance Test: Your move will meet the distance test if your new main job location is at least 50 miles farther from your former home than your old main job location was from your former home. For example, if your old main job location was 3 miles from your former home, your new main job location must be at least 53 miles from that former home. Use the worksheet in Publication 521-Moving Expense if necessary.

Time Test: If you are an employee, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months after you arrive in the general area of your new job location (39-week test). Full-time employment depends on what is usual for your type of work in your area. (78 weeks of the first 24 months for self employment)

Time Test Not Yet Met -You can deduct your moving expenses on your 2017 tax return even though you haven't met the time test by the date your 2017 return is due. You can do this if you expect to meet the 39-week test in 2018. 

Moving expenses can be entered by following the steps here. 

1. Search for moving > Jump to moving
  2. Follow the screens to enter your moving expenses
  3. Click the images attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

I, sadly, didn't save GAS RECEIPTS for our move, so I am just going to use the mileage.  Thank you for your help!  (I wish I would have known about saving receipts--because it cost HIM way more gas than me, since he was pulling a truck with a trailer!)
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@blondestarr123 If there is a record from a debit or credit card that is sufficient as proof of expense.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies