Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhadik

Can I list my airplane travel to and from a job as a self-employment expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, if you are self-employed, you can deduct the expenses of air travel to and from a job as business expenses.

However, if you receive a W2 for the job for which you traveled, you cannot deduct the airplane expenses.

For more information, follow this link: Common Business Expenses for Self Employed Persons

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes, if you are self-employed, you can deduct the expenses of air travel to and from a job as business expenses.

However, if you receive a W2 for the job for which you traveled, you cannot deduct the airplane expenses.

For more information, follow this link: Common Business Expenses for Self Employed Persons

You must upgrade from TT Deluxe.
flynjd

Where would you add a business owned airplane for tracking business related travel expense?  TTax drop down only allows cars and trucks it seems...

Why is the plane used in the business ?   Do you fly clients ?  

Planes are entered as an asset just like Tractor Trailers ( big rigs) and are depreciated then the actual expenses for operating them are expensed ... they are NOT vehicles and should NOT be entered in the vehicle expenses section.  And the personal use portion must be removed so if you use the plane for personal reasons you cannot take all the expenses or depreciation at 100%. 

Carl
Level 15

Where would you add a business owned airplane for tracking business related travel expense?

If the aircraft is owned by the business, then it is  *NOT* a vehicular asset of any type. It's a business asset that gets listed as such in the Business assets section and depreciated over time. For a plane it's depreciated over 7 years.

Your expenses related to a specific job are all entered in the Business Expenses section of the program.  In the Business Expenses section elect to start/update Other Common Business Expenses and on that screen is a category specifically called "Business Travel". That's where you'll enter all of your expenses related to your travel to work sites.

Please note that if travel is between your residence to your "Primary" place of employment, that is referred to as "commuting expenses". Such expenses are never deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies