turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chadkris1

I my personal vehicle 95% for work related travel. I receive a "vehicle allowance" that is paid as part of my taxable income. Can I claim mileage deduction?

Gas, food, and lodging are covered on a company credit card.  All maintenance, wear and tear, depreciation, and insurance is my responsibility.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

I my personal vehicle 95% for work related travel. I receive a "vehicle allowance" that is paid as part of my taxable income. Can I claim mileage deduction?

Yes. Exactly. This is called a non-accountable plan. With a non-accountable reimbursement plan, your reimbursement should be included in your taxable income. In that case, you are allowed to deduct all your car expenses as if you received no reimbursement.

To enter mileage for your work as a W-2 employee:

1.      Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if it's not already open.

o    Online versions: Make sure you've gone past the blue Simple and accurate screen.

2.      In TurboTax, search for 2106 and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.

3.      At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation, then click or tap Continue.  

If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen instead, you can either select Edit (for an existing job) or Add Another Occupation (for a new one).

Tip: If the only work-related use of your car is commuting back and forth between your home and main workplace, don't enter any vehicle mileage or expenses. The IRS doesn't let employees deduct commuting costs.

Here is what's considered deductible mileage:

• Your trip between your home and your regular or main job is never deductible.

• A trip between your home and temporary work location is deductible if your main job is at another location.

• Your commute between home and second job is never deductible on a day off from your main job.

• Your trip between your regular job and temporary job is always deductible.

• Your trips between your main and second job are deductible.

• Your trips between temporary work locations and a second job.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies