Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Would foundation and structural repairs be considered and improvement or repair when calculating my capital gains on a house I sold

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Would foundation and structural repairs be considered and improvement or repair when calculating my capital gains on a house I sold

They would be repairs and would be reported as an expense in the year incurred if the house was a rental property.  If the house was purchased as an investment (e.g. bought to fix-up and sell) the expenditures would be added to the cost basis of the house.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

They would be repairs and would be reported as an expense in the year incurred if the house was a rental property.  If the house was purchased as an investment (e.g. bought to fix-up and sell) the expenditures would be added to the cost basis of the house.

I think it would be a repair. If you consider the foundation of the house much like the suspension on your automobile then nobody would buy the car with a rough ride. No one wants a house with an unsteady or cracked foundation. An improvement would be adding brick to the foundation as would custom wheels to the automobile. Neither of those examples would change the stability but just the appearance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies