heutonck

Why isn't my child tax credit being included? I am under the income threshold but turbo tax excludes them and says I need to use standard deduction. Not understanding why

Turbo Tax isn't including the child tax credit in our itemized deductions. I have four children so should have $8000 credit. We are below AGI of 400,000. Turbo tax tells us to use standard deduction and then we owe nearly $3000 in the end. If we include child tax credit, our itemized deduction is larger than standard deduction and we wouldn't owe any taxes. 

JulieCo

The Child Tax Credit is not an itemized deduction and will be given if you qualify whether you take the standard deduction or you itemize on your return. If your children are all under 17, have social security numbers and your AGI meet the qualifications on for the credit, you should be receiving it on your return.  Preview your 1040 form to see if any amounts are recorded on line 12 (the nonrefundable portion) and/or line 17 (for a refundable portion). 

Steps for how to preview your 1040 form:

Requirements for the Child Tax Credit:

Also be aware that because of the tax reform changes of 2018, several tax brackets were lowered which caused the withholding table amounts to be lowered for 2018 as well.  Therefore, employers withheld less taxes as a percent of income than 2017.  This may be a large part of why your owe on your return for 2018.