turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeffh212

Why is TT asking for HDHP Information when I never had one?

I've never had a HDHP or an HSA or an MSA, but TT keeps asking me "What kind of HDHP did I have on December 1 2016?  Then it says, "If I had coverage on December 1, 2016, but failed to be eligible for other reasons, select "none."  But when I select "None" I get a weird 8889-t wkst 1 error on smart check. What should I do?  (I also do not have "W" on box 12 of my W-2.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why is TT asking for HDHP Information when I never had one?

Every taxpayer is asked the question "Was [name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2016?" Why? Because you might have been covered by an HDHP on December 1, 2016, even if you were not in an HSA or under HDHP coverage for any part of 2017.

The purpose for this obscure question about 2016 is to determine if you took advantage of the "last-month" rule in your HSA in 2016. That is, if you had an HSA in 2016 and you used the full annual HSA contribution amount (instead of having it pro-rated by the number of months that you had the HDHP coverage), then you would be required to keep your HDHP coverage (your High Deductible Health Plan, which is required for an HSA) through the "testing period", in essence, through all of 2017.

If you did not have HDHP coverage in 2016 (or ever have it), answer "none".

However, if you had answered Family or Self, then TurboTax is now confused, because it thinks you had an HSA when you didn't. Please do the following to delete all HSA information: 

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

Continue with your return, and if you come across the question "Was [name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2016?" again, be sure to answer "None".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies