Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

beg4

Why is the Pennsylvania state return saying I have at least one gain or loss from the sale or exchange of property or a distribution from a Coverdell ESA when I don't?

My NQSO is stating the above in my PA state return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Why is the Pennsylvania state return saying I have at least one gain or loss from the sale or exchange of property or a distribution from a Coverdell ESA when I don't?

You may have to delete a form that was triggered on your return.  Here is how:

• In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

You'll be looking for form 5498-ESA.

Here is a TurboTax link about the Coverdell.

fmwicks

Doing my Pennsylvania parents taxes (both retirees) and I am getting same message about gains and losses from Coverdell, but I do not have a 5498-ESA form to delete. They do not have Coverdell account and never did, but my mother was a PA teacher. Could it have something to do with her pension? Driving me crazy. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

5498-ESA reports contributions, not distributions. 

Distributions are reported on 1099-Q.

Please check the 1099-R and make sure it wasn't inadvertently entered as a 1099-Q. The 1099-Q is entered under Deductions & Credits scroll down to Education. If you see it there, you can delete it and re-enter the 1099-R under Wages & Income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Njz7

I am having the same issue, however, I do not have a form 1099-R, Q, or any "5489-ESA" listed under the documents to delete. The PA page references an "Etrade - See attac", but its not a link, and nothing I do with etrade is related to an ESA (I do have a general brokerage, and a Roth IRA if that matters). I cannot get past this point in turbotax. 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If you received a distribution from a Roth IRA you should have a 1099-R entered into your return.  But it seems likely something has been triggered accidentally while going through your return.  

You are probably better off having someone walk through the return with you to look at your entries so I recommend getting live expert help.

Here is a link to finding a TurboTax expert.

However, that requires upgrading your product which may be an expense you don't want.  In that case you can call an expert and ask questions over the phone.

Here is a link to the TurboTax Phone Number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies