Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did TurboTax claim a "military" deduction for my regular Social Security income?

State of Michigan is disallowing a deduction for the full amount of my Social Security retirement income that was wrongly entered by TurboTax as a military benefit. It used to be possible in TurboTax to look at the actual form and click on a box to find out what it pulled from - but that is no longer possible. I have NO idea why it would think I qualify for a military deduction here, or whether it actually went in as just a Social Security deduction (which ought I think to have been limited to non-retirement Social Security benefits). The result is that instead of several hundred dollars refund, I owe Michigan a bit over a hundred dollars. Any clue what might have happened?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why did TurboTax claim a "military" deduction for my regular Social Security income?

The state of Michigan does not tax Social Security benefits at all.  Did you enter your SSA1099 in the wrong place?  Did you enter it as a 1099R by mistake?   Your SSA1099 must be entered in the right place in the federal return and then the information flows to the state return.  It sounds like you made a mistake on the federal return.  Do you see your Social Security on lines 6a and 6b of your federal Form 1040?

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm on a Mac. I don't see any Tax Tools on the left in TurboTax.

And yes, the figures appear on lines 6a and 6b on the Federal Return. At no time did I click anything claiming military service.

Click your name in My Info and see if you accidentally clicked on military service when you went through those questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies