cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

Why can't I receive the EIC for my children, they are both in school full time and under 19, I did my taxes on here and said I wasn't eligible

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 20

Why can't I receive the EIC for my children, they are both in school full time and under 19, I did my taxes on here and said I wasn't eligible

Are you confusing the child tax credit with earned income credit?  They are not the same thing--they are two different credits.  If your child turned 17 in 2017, then you do not get the child tax credit.  But you can still claim your child as a dependent and be eligible for the earned income credit.

Look at your tax return to see the child-related /dependent credits you received:

Child Tax Credit 1040A  line 35 1040 line 49

Additional Child Tax Credit   1040A  line 43 1040 line 67

Child & Dependent Care Credit  1040A line 31 1040 line 49

Earned Income Credit 1040A line 42a           1040 line 66a

The children you listed as your dependents will appear on line 6c

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Level 20

Did you enter the income you earned from working yet?
Level 1

yes
Level 20

What is it saying about EIC?
Level 1

that they are 17 and not eligible
Level 20

That's the Child Tax Credit, not EIC. They must be under age 17 to get that.
Level 20

Level 1

I thought that was over when they turn 18
Level 20

No, it's 17.
Level 20

Level 20

Are you confusing the child tax credit with earned income credit?  They are not the same thing--they are two different credits.  If your child turned 17 in 2017, then you do not get the child tax credit.  But you can still claim your child as a dependent and be eligible for the earned income credit.

Look at your tax return to see the child-related /dependent credits you received:

Child Tax Credit 1040A  line 35 1040 line 49

Additional Child Tax Credit   1040A  line 43 1040 line 67

Child & Dependent Care Credit  1040A line 31 1040 line 49

Earned Income Credit 1040A line 42a           1040 line 66a

The children you listed as your dependents will appear on line 6c

View solution in original post

Level 20

Level 20