turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I receive the EIC for my children, they are both in school full time and under 19, I did my taxes on here and said I wasn't eligible

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why can't I receive the EIC for my children, they are both in school full time and under 19, I did my taxes on here and said I wasn't eligible

Are you confusing the child tax credit with earned income credit?  They are not the same thing--they are two different credits.  If your child turned 17 in 2017, then you do not get the child tax credit.  But you can still claim your child as a dependent and be eligible for the earned income credit.

Look at your tax return to see the child-related /dependent credits you received:

Child Tax Credit 1040A  line 35 1040 line 49

Additional Child Tax Credit   1040A  line 43 1040 line 67

Child & Dependent Care Credit  1040A line 31 1040 line 49

Earned Income Credit 1040A line 42a           1040 line 66a

The children you listed as your dependents will appear on line 6c

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Did you enter the income you earned from working yet?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

yes

What is it saying about EIC?

that they are 17 and not eligible

That's the Child Tax Credit, not EIC. They must be under age 17 to get that.

I thought that was over when they turn 18

No, it's 17.

Are you confusing the child tax credit with earned income credit?  They are not the same thing--they are two different credits.  If your child turned 17 in 2017, then you do not get the child tax credit.  But you can still claim your child as a dependent and be eligible for the earned income credit.

Look at your tax return to see the child-related /dependent credits you received:

Child Tax Credit 1040A  line 35 1040 line 49

Additional Child Tax Credit   1040A  line 43 1040 line 67

Child & Dependent Care Credit  1040A line 31 1040 line 49

Earned Income Credit 1040A line 42a           1040 line 66a

The children you listed as your dependents will appear on line 6c

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-what-is-the-child-tax-credit">https://ttlc.intuit.com/ques...>

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies