barbholdsworth

Why aren't my property taxes deductible?

Last year $13K property tax was deductible ..this year $0 ...why?

Ashby

Because of tax reform passed last year, your state and local taxes (SALT) deduction is capped at $10k.

This deduction includes your income tax that you pay to the state, personal property taxes, and real estate taxes.

I understand that you are saying $0 is being deducted. This could be that the program is choosing the standard deduction for you. Also because of tax reform, the standard deduction for married filing jointly has nearly doubled to $24k.

Ashby