Solved: Why am I getting an excess HSA notice, we were under the $6900 family limit for 2018? Hubby under self was at 3775 contribution - me and child at 3K.

Why am I getting an excess HSA notice, we were under the $6900 family limit for 2018? Hubby under self was at 3775 contribution - me and child at 3K.

If either spouse has family coverage, then the IRS considers both to have family coverage for purposes of the contribution limit. 

This tricks the program sometimes, so even though your husband is on a self plan, you need to mark him as family plan. If there is any issue in changing just the election in HSA, you may need to delete Husband's W-2 and reenter.

Thanks - I'll try that. I wish turbo tax had the option of employee + spouse like my employer and maybe that would do it.

Okay - tried it - did not work - let me try deleting his and starting over

That did not work either - the deletion of his W2.

Well, I know that's more than a bit annoying. Sorry! And I'm assuming that you are only working off of what was in Box 12 Code W of your W-2s. You did not manually enter additional contributions? You just let the program take it from W-2?

Update- after deleting his W2 and the HSA for spouse - it worked. YAY - thanks,

You're welcome. We have an "HSA expert" in our group and he had just given a presentation that included this particular problem. I'm glad it worked!