Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null189

Why am I getting an excess HSA notice, we were under the $6900 family limit for 2018? Hubby under self was at 3775 contribution - me and child at 3K.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Why am I getting an excess HSA notice, we were under the $6900 family limit for 2018? Hubby under self was at 3775 contribution - me and child at 3K.

If either spouse has family coverage, then the IRS considers both to have family coverage for purposes of the contribution limit. 

This tricks the program sometimes, so even though your husband is on a self plan, you need to mark him as family plan. If there is any issue in changing just the election in HSA, you may need to delete Husband's W-2 and reenter.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Ashby

If either spouse has family coverage, then the IRS considers both to have family coverage for purposes of the contribution limit. 

This tricks the program sometimes, so even though your husband is on a self plan, you need to mark him as family plan. If there is any issue in changing just the election in HSA, you may need to delete Husband's W-2 and reenter.

null189

Thanks - I'll try that. I wish turbo tax had the option of employee + spouse like my employer and maybe that would do it.
null189

Okay - tried it - did not work - let me try deleting his and starting over
null189

That did not work either - the deletion of his W2.
Ashby

Well, I know that's more than a bit annoying. Sorry! And I'm assuming that you are only working off of what was in Box 12 Code W of your W-2s. You did not manually enter additional contributions? You just let the program take it from W-2?
null189

Update- after deleting his W2 and the HSA for spouse - it worked. YAY - thanks,
Ashby

You're welcome. We have an "HSA expert" in our group and he had just given a presentation that included this particular problem. I'm glad it worked!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies