Why am am I getting the Child Tax Credit when I also contributed the max $5K to Dependent FSA?

kailinryan

We have 1 child. Our return is giving me the $2000 child tax credit even though we had contributed the max of $5000 to a dependent care FSA. The FSA contributions are noted in our W2s. Is this correct? I've run the check for Federal and State and it doesn't say anything is wrong, but everything I read says that it can't be that way. I included that our daycare is a non-profit, tax exempt organization. Not sure if that is impacting this?
Rachel_W

The Child Tax Credit is completely different than the Dependent and Child Care Credit.  You are correct that you are not eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Credit since you maxed out with your $5,000 deferral to your Dependent FSA.  However, this does not affect your ability to claim the Child Tax Credit of $2,000 for your child.

For more information, check out the TurboTax FAQ below: