Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where in TurboTax can I claim expenses on Covid-19 PPE products? Are these items actually deductible?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Where in TurboTax can I claim expenses on Covid-19 PPE products? Are these items actually deductible?

Yes, Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) products can be tax deductible as job-related expenses.

1. Select "Federal Taxes" at the top of the page

2. Select the "Deductions & Credits" sub-tab

3. Scroll down to "Employment Expenses" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Job-Related Expenses"

5. Enter your occupation

6. When you get to the screen titled "Job-Related Expenses" enter the description and amount that you spent on PPE.

Tip:  Be sure to save your receipts.  If the IRS asks any questions, receipts provide proof that you spent the money on the PPE you are claiming a deduction for. 

jzawidski

I followed the instructions and got no deduction for the PAPR used in the Covid tent or ER.  It cost $1930 to save my life while I was saving others.  What gives.  

Carl
Level 15

Unless something has changed, and it very well may have for COVID-19, as of 2018 any W-2 job related expenses are no longer deductible through 2026.

I've noticed that as well. However, last night on the news, they made a big deal about the "fact" that PPE would be deductible. No real specifics were provided, so I wonder if it's #fakenews.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Personal Protective Equipment for Covid 19 is an itemized medical deduction.  Any out-of-pocket medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income will count toward your schedule A itemized deductions. 

Only if your itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction for your filing status will you see a change in your tax refund or  taxes owed.

Here is the IRS announcement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HtaxPayer
Returning Member

how about for self-employed?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@HtaxPayer

Are you saying that you are working as a contractor in the medical field (EMT, nurse, ER doctor, etc.)?

In this case, PPE could be deducted under Supplies.

If you are not a medical contractor, then you would need to be willing to defend the deduction of the PPE as an "ordinary and necessary" expense for your business.

HtaxPayer
Returning Member

thanks.... so as a notary, with face to face contact with clients, seems reasonable, but I guess the guidelines don't cover that...

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Since all of this is so new, there are a lot of things that aren't covered. 

But my argument would be this:

1. As a notary, I have to see people face-to-face (is this true, under the law in your state?)

2. In my state or locality, wearing masks were required for the circumstances (write down what your state or locality dictated).

3. Therefore, since the job required personal contact (indoors?) and the state or locality required masks and other PPE, the expenses are ordinary and necessary.

This is an argument you can make. If you like it, write yourself a small essay about this and put it in your tax file, in case anyone ever asks about your PPE deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies