Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter taxes paid this tax year for taxes due resulting from an audit of a previous year?

How do I report (or deduct) tax amounts paid this tax year for taxes due resulting from an audit for previous years?  For example, in 2022, I paid the balance of federal and state taxes due resulting from a recalculation from an IRS audit from 2016.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Where do I enter taxes paid this tax year for taxes due resulting from an audit of a previous year?

Federal taxes owed and paid in 2022 for a prior tax year are not reported on a federal tax return.

State taxes owed and paid in 2022 for a prior tax year can be entered on federal tax return.

To enter state income taxes paid -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen scroll down to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2022

Or enter state taxes paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to state taxes paid

Sorry you don't enter prior year tax payments.  Each year is separate.  They are not deductible.  Unless they are for a state return.  Then they might be a deduction on your federal return if you Itemize Deductions, but not any interest or penalties.  

Thank you.  So, I might be able to deduct the amount paid to past year's state taxes.  If so, do I just add that amount to the amount paid for 2022 state taxes?

@Big E Smith wrote:

Thank you.  So, I might be able to deduct the amount paid to past year's state taxes.  If so, do I just add that amount to the amount paid for 2022 state taxes?

Did you see the answer I provided at the top of this thread?

Oh, I see it is just as  DoninGA replied.  Thank you all!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies