Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i enter mileage deduction

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

If you are an employee, you can deduct business mileage as a job-related expense if you itemize deductions. You can't deduct commuting miles. Job-related expenses aren't fully deductible as they are subject to the 2% rule.

To enter your job-related mileage in TurboTax (for income reported on a W-2):

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Click Tools.
  • Click Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type 2106.
  • In the results box, highlight 2106, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your job-related expenses. You'll get to a screen that asks Any Vehicle Expenses or Sales? Click Yes.
  • You'll be asked numerous questions about the business use of your vehicle. Answer the questions and continue going through the job-related expenses interview.
  • Near the end of the interview, you'll be asked questions about reimbursements. (Click the screenshots below to enlarge them for examples.) Respond accordingly and continue to the end of this section. 
  • When you are finished entering job-related expenses for this job, TurboTax will display the Job-Related Expenses Summary.

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.

Can I deduct commuting expenses like gas, mileage, or toll fees?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300445
[Edited 03.16.2018 I 11:35AM PDT]
JuanJ

In Deluxe please follow these steps:
  • Select Tools on the left side of the screen. A pop up will come up.
  • Select Search at the top right corner.
  • Enter “Mileage".
  • Then follow the on-screen instructions and answer the questions for this section.

I see this is old, but it's what I found. Is this still current:

"You can't deduct commuting miles"

I ask because my wife is a teacher and TT asks under "Job Related Expenses" (where I enter union dues, etc.) it asks "do you have any vehicle miles or expenses for your occupation?"

She drives a 9.8 mile round trip every day to school.

By asking this, it intimates that I can enter miles to deduct? Is this the case?

I'm using Deluxe on desktop

Thanks,

Scott

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Under the current law, starting with tax year 2018, employee business expenses are no longer deductible on the Federal return for most taxpayers. The only categories of employees eligible to deduct these expenses on the Federal return are:

• Armed Forces reservists
  • Qualified performing artists
  • Fee-basis state or local government officials
  • Employees with impairment-related work expenses

See this IRS webpage for more information. The expenses are limited to those which exceed 2% of adjusted gross income.

Commuting expenses to a primary place of work are never deductible. See IRS Publication 463 for information on deductible transportation expenses for self-employed individuals.

Several states, including California, still allow employee business expenses on the State return to the extent they exceed a percentage of adjusted gross income. If you are in a state that allows employee business expenses, you can enter them in the Federal section of TurboTax and the program will transfer them to your state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies