You will enter the 12 month qualifying period during the interview if you elect to exclude your foreign earned income.
Here's how to add—or remove—a Form 2555 or 2555-EZ from your return:
- Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return.
- Do a search for foreign income, and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
- Continue through the foreign income section until you reach the screen Would You Like to Try and Exclude Your Foreign Earned Income? (if single), or Whose Foreign Income Would You Like to Try and Exclude? (if married). Answer Yes (to add a 2555 or 2555-EZ—we'll figure out which one you need) or No (to remove it), select Continue, and follow any on-screen instructions.
Tip: The -T or -S suffix after the 2555 stands for taxpayer or spouse, respectively.
- Where do I enter the foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or deduction for 2019?
- What qualifies for the Foreign Tax Credit?
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
This does not work. I can't file my taxes because it keeps asking for form 2555. I followed the search and following the steps and then it just takes me back to that same screen saying the form will be ready on 2/18 which used to say 1/28 and 1/18! It has been over a month.
The form is on the IRS site. Why can't I finish my taxes? Someone please help.
No one can help you get a form ready in the software that's simply not ready yet. You will have to wait. The IRS isn't even processing returns yet to begin with. As you stated, the form is currently set to be ready in the software on the 18th. NOTHING can be done before then if you want to file using this exclusion. If it is not ready, it's not ready.
Just because you can see the form on the IRS website doesn't mean it's approved in electronic form for use in this software yet. It is a lower priority form for the IRS and software companies because taxpayers overseas have until June 15 to file their tax returns, most have no refund, and the laws and rules are complicated for this form.
There is no point in asking for "help" when you've answered your own question - the form is not ready yet. You can file when it is.