Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter a donation for a qualifying charitable donation on my Arizona state return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
NicoleU

Where do I enter a donation for a qualifying charitable donation on my Arizona state return?

Per Arizona, "What was formerly known as the Working Poor Credit is now officially known as the Credit for Donations made to Qualifying Charitable Organizations. This change was made in 2013 to reflect the expansion of the credit to include foster care organizations."

Please see this Arizona link for more information relating to the change: https://www.azdor.gov/About/FAQs/CharitableTaxCredit.aspx

Qualifying Charitable Organization is a charity that is exempt from federal income tax. A qualifying charity is also a charity that is a designated community action agency that receives Community Services Block Grant Program money.

In order to claim this "Qualifying Charitable Organization".

In TurboTax, you will need to go States Taxes, you will see Arizona, click Edit, you will need continue and answer any applicable questions until you see "Other Nonrefundable Credits". (Please see attached screenshot)

Once you see that, please check the box next, "Contributions to qualified charities (Form 321/ Form 352). then click continue, then you will see "Donations to Charitable Organizations". Then check the first box, I contributed to a certified Arizona charitable organization on or before April 18, 2017 (Please see attached screenshot)

If you make charitbale contributions above the allowed credit limit of $800 Turbo Tax is not showing the excess as a carryover to next year. How do I correct this?

If you had unused charitable carryovers on last year's return, and you transferred that return over, TurboTax should enter that for you.  But if it isn't working, please follow these directions to manually enter your charitable carryover:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, type donations and then select Jump to donations in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you make any donations to charity in 2020? (even if the answer is no).
  4. Answer No when asked if you have an ItsDeductible account (even if the answer is yes).
  5. Answer No to the question Do you want to enter your donations for 2020?
    • If you see Review All Your Charities instead of this question, select Done with Charitable Donations.
  6. The next screen will say Charitable Carryovers. Answer Yes and Enter Your Charitable Carryovers on the next screen.

Tip: Most qualified charitable organizations are 60% limit organizations, which means you'll enter the carryover on the Enter Your Charitable Carryovers screen. 20% and 30% limit organizations are entered on the following screen, Other Carryovers. More information about 60%, 30%, and 20% limit organizations is available at this IRS webpage.

Related Information:

Here is a TurboTax article about charitable contributions.

@David_ Clement

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies