Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I deduct expenses for hosting a foreign exchange student?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Well, it is not that simple. You can deduct as a charitable donation itemized deduction, certain expenses paid for a student living with you. The rules are extensive and there are certain items that you have to file with your return (meaning that you will have to file it by mail). The maximum deduction is $50 for any whole month that the student lived with you.
To read the requirements and the info on what you can count as expenses, start on Page 4 of IRS Publication 526, at this link:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

The instructions on what records have to be filed with your tax return are on Page 20 of Pub. 526.

I've read a lot indicating that it depends on the situation, and even the tax publications lead me to the same place.  If the student is attending a public government program, then you can not deduct expenses, it is not a business, etc.  However, many people host through third-party programs, for international students who attend private schools.  This is a whole other animal, and I'd like to see more research here about that.  All I have researched has led me to the same place that it WAS intended to earn money, that it IS a business, there is a contractual service being provided, therefore, in all forms, a business arrangement, and business income and related expenses.   These providers receive a 1099 and are responsible for expenses of room setup, technology support, meals, etc.  Can anyone speak to this?

You are right on.  Take all allowable business expenses for their proportional share (based on SF % within the home) of utilities, etc., plus food and mileage at the federal rate.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies