Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I entered my hsa contributions it made my tax owed go up. Since HSA contributions are pre-tax, that seems wrong. Why do I have to pay tax on the HSA contributions?

When I entered my HSA contributions ($7,613.88) it made my tax owed go up by $2,589. Since HSA contributions are pre-tax, that seems wrong. Why do I have to pay tax on the HSA contributions? 

None of the answers to your questions address this. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I entered my hsa contributions it made my tax owed go up. Since HSA contributions are pre-tax, that seems wrong. Why do I have to pay tax on the HSA contributions?

"Why do I have to pay tax on the HSA contributions? "

You don't have to pay tax on your HSA contribution, and you won't pay taxes on your HSA contribution when you tell TurboTax that you're covered by a qualifying HDHP.

When you enter that information off your W-2 TurboTax doesn't know if you're covered or not.  Pending an answer to that question it kicks the deduction over to "Other income" (line 21 of the Form 1040) and your tax goes up.  Once you work through the HDHP/HSA questions over in the "Credits and Deductions" area TurboTax will reverse that entry and your taxes will go back down.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The same thing happened to me.  I don't understand the details of why, but for some reason the form input filled out the underlying tax form wrong.  If you go to the form (8889-T) itself using the 'Forms' button, you will probably see in sections 1 and 3 that the boxes to indicate coverage under a HDHP (high deductible health plan) were not checked, thereby making your HSA contributions non-deductible.  I compared to my forms from last year. and made it look the same, because nothing has changed in my case.  That fixed it, and showed my whole contribution as deductible on line 13 (HSA deduction).   Hope this helps!

"Why do I have to pay tax on the HSA contributions? "

You don't have to pay tax on your HSA contribution, and you won't pay taxes on your HSA contribution when you tell TurboTax that you're covered by a qualifying HDHP.

When you enter that information off your W-2 TurboTax doesn't know if you're covered or not.  Pending an answer to that question it kicks the deduction over to "Other income" (line 21 of the Form 1040) and your tax goes up.  Once you work through the HDHP/HSA questions over in the "Credits and Deductions" area TurboTax will reverse that entry and your taxes will go back down.

Tom Young

That's very helpful. Thanks Tom!
bully4mu

I answered the HSA/HPHP questions as I should (all HSA used for medical expenses and I had a HDHP all year), but my taxes did not go back down.  What is wrong?

Thanks Tom.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies