Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have dual citizenship. As a US citizen, living and working in the US, how would I treat my retirement income I receive from a foreign country? Is it taxable?

I live and work in the US. I receive a $300 retirement from a foreign country. How would I treat this income? Is it all subject to the US tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have dual citizenship. As a US citizen, living and working in the US, how would I treat my retirement income I receive from a foreign country? Is it taxable?

Yes, your foreign pension is taxable to the US.  To enter your foreign pension on your return, follow the instructions below:

• Choose the Federal return and the Wages & Income tab.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and Show more.
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  • Choose Other Reportable Income and say Yes.
  • Even though the screen says "Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC", this is where you will enter the description "Foreign Pension" the amount you received, and who received it, if necessary.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, your foreign pension is taxable to the US.  To enter your foreign pension on your return, follow the instructions below:

• Choose the Federal return and the Wages & Income tab.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and Show more.
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  • Choose Other Reportable Income and say Yes.
  • Even though the screen says "Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC", this is where you will enter the description "Foreign Pension" the amount you received, and who received it, if necessary.

IC53

It appears I get double taxed, ~$2000USD, how do I get credit for tax paid? ~ $500USD in Canada
IC53

When I enter the $500 as foreign tax paid, there is no reduction on tax paid to Canada
IC53

Between Canada, US and State, I pay about 1/2 in taxes to 3 entities :(
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies