scttftzgrld

What turbotax form do I require to deduct lawyer expenses.

CarolynM

It depends

If the lawyer expenses are fees paid to an attorney, you can't claim personal legal fees as a deduction anymore. 

As part of the changes to the tax laws, the deduction for legal fees paid for personal matters is gone. It was considered a Miscellaneous Deduction on Schedule A.

If you are self-employed employed attorney you can claim expenses on Schedule C. 

If you are self-employed in another business, and the legal fees were for your business, you can claim the expenses on Schedule C.

For more information, follow these links:

Misc Deductions 2018

Common Deductions for Businesses

scttftzgrld

From the IRS 2018 Miscellaneous Deductions page 5 legal deductions next to TIP BOX : You can deduct legal expenses that are related to doing or keeping your job, such as those you paid to defend yourself against criminal charges arising out of your trade or business.
CarolynM

Sorry for the confusion, Legal fees to keep your job remains. I tried to cover all the possible meanings of lawyer expenses in my answer, but this one reason remains.
scttftzgrld

Thank you.  I have been "wrongly" accused of misconduct after 20 yrs working as a social worker, without any history of misconduct and have been placed on indefinite suspension since 11/04/2018 without pay.  I immediately hired counsel...guilty until a legal department attempts to create false accusations.  
scttftzgrld

Sorry for the venting but its taken a toll on my health but  returning to my first question what  form in turbotax can I claim, thank you
CarolynM

I am sorry you have been wrongly accused. You need Schedule A, itemized deductions.
CarolynM

It depends

Misc Deductions 2018

Common Deductions for Businesses