turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What turbotax form do I require to deduct lawyer expenses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It depends

If the lawyer expenses are fees paid to an attorney, you can't claim personal legal fees as a deduction anymore. 

As part of the changes to the tax laws, the deduction for legal fees paid for personal matters is gone. It was considered a Miscellaneous Deduction on Schedule A.

If you are self-employed employed attorney you can claim expenses on Schedule C. 

If you are self-employed in another business, and the legal fees were for your business, you can claim the expenses on Schedule C.

For more information, follow these links:

Misc Deductions 2018

Common Deductions for Businesses

View solution in original post

6 Replies

From the IRS 2018 Miscellaneous Deductions page 5 legal deductions next to TIP BOX : You can deduct legal expenses that are related to doing or keeping your job, such as those you paid to defend yourself against criminal charges arising out of your trade or business.

Sorry for the confusion, Legal fees to keep your job remains. I tried to cover all the possible meanings of lawyer expenses in my answer, but this one reason remains.

Thank you.  I have been "wrongly" accused of misconduct after 20 yrs working as a social worker, without any history of misconduct and have been placed on indefinite suspension since 11/04/2018 without pay.  I immediately hired counsel...guilty until a legal department attempts to create false accusations.  

Sorry for the venting but its taken a toll on my health but  returning to my first question what  form in turbotax can I claim, thank you

I am sorry you have been wrongly accused. You need Schedule A, itemized deductions.

It depends

If the lawyer expenses are fees paid to an attorney, you can't claim personal legal fees as a deduction anymore. 

As part of the changes to the tax laws, the deduction for legal fees paid for personal matters is gone. It was considered a Miscellaneous Deduction on Schedule A.

If you are self-employed employed attorney you can claim expenses on Schedule C. 

If you are self-employed in another business, and the legal fees were for your business, you can claim the expenses on Schedule C.

For more information, follow these links:

Misc Deductions 2018

Common Deductions for Businesses

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies