Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

austin173

What should I enter in the mortgage section of the tax form for "Enter your loan balance as of January 1, 2021...etc" if the mortgage was refinanced?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

What should I enter in the mortgage section of the tax form for "Enter your loan balance as of January 1, 2021...etc" if the mortgage was refinanced?

Box 2 of the 2020 Form 1098 should reflect the balance of the loan as of 01/01/2020, not 2021.  You must be looking at the 2021 Form 1098 Instructions instead of 2020.

The document should be completed by the mortgage company and you need to input the document as it was prepared for you by the mortgage company.

If the loan was refinanced during the year, then there would have been a balance on it as of 01/01/2020 which should be reported in box 2 of the Form 1098.

The instructions for box 2 of the 2020 Form 1098 are as follows:

Box 2. Shows the outstanding principal on the mortgage as of January 1, 2020. If the mortgage originated in 2020, shows the mortgage principal as of the date of origination. If the recipient/lender acquired the loan in 2020, shows the mortgage principal as of the date of acquisition.

austin173

Hello, I am referring to this section:

5B2A526E-E03C-446D-9345-9B3E00BD0692.jpeg

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If you are using the 2020 Form 1098,.enter what is on the form. 

The loan balance as of January 1, 2021 would be considered as the end of the year for 2020.  This is the amount starting off 2021.

Now if this is a refinanced loan and was paid off sometime during 2020, then this amount is $0.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies