turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrubio267

What medical equipment is deductible - can I deduct my scooter and hospital bed purchase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

What medical equipment is deductible - can I deduct my scooter and hospital bed purchase?

Yes, you can deduct the scooter and hospital bed as a medical expense on your Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. 

The scooter is an assistive device and facilitates mobility for those wishing to remain independent but who endure disabling or crippling medical conditions.

In addition to prescription eyeglasses and hearing aids, you can deduct power chairs, scooters, braces (arm/leg/wrist), wheelchairs, special shoes and other similar devices that require approval by a medical doctor, dentist or other health care provider. Be sure to request and keep copies of medical or dental letters confirming your need for assistive devices. Also, get a receipt from the equipment supplier. If you make a co-payment, use a check and make the entry in your check register.

Additional Resources:

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenaC

Yes, you can deduct the scooter and hospital bed as a medical expense on your Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. 

The scooter is an assistive device and facilitates mobility for those wishing to remain independent but who endure disabling or crippling medical conditions.

In addition to prescription eyeglasses and hearing aids, you can deduct power chairs, scooters, braces (arm/leg/wrist), wheelchairs, special shoes and other similar devices that require approval by a medical doctor, dentist or other health care provider. Be sure to request and keep copies of medical or dental letters confirming your need for assistive devices. Also, get a receipt from the equipment supplier. If you make a co-payment, use a check and make the entry in your check register.

Additional Resources:

mcorbid

Awesome information and good news. How about the trailer hitch and carrier I purchase to transport my scooter to destinations. Any of that tax deductible? Thank you again! Great resource.

From the IRS pub : https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

CAR
You can include in medical expenses the cost of special
hand controls and other special equipment installed in a
car for the use of a person with a disability.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies