Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schmoop

What is the minimum my spouse needs to earn at a part-time job so we can qualify for as many child/care tax credits?

Married, have always filed jointly. 3 kids <18, 1 in daycare. My gross is ~$60k. 

Looking for clarity on the earned income requirements- or if there’s a minimum of $2500 per earner, or just combined income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

What is the minimum my spouse needs to earn at a part-time job so we can qualify for as many child/care tax credits?

For the Child Care Credit I don't know if there is a minimum amount.  Just have earned income.

Child Care FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-is-the-child-and-dependent-care-c...

If one of the spouses is self-employed and showed a loss, then you cannot get the childcare credit.  Both spouses have to show earned income in order to get the child care credit.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

with only 1 child in daycare,  and your adjusted gross income above $43,000 the credit rate is 20% and the maximum credit is $3,000. The maximum credit is determined by multiply the lower of your earned income or hers by 20%, so each of you would need $15,000 in earned income (wages, net schedule c income,  se income from partnerships).

there is a further limit to tax liability before this credit.

this assumes your employer is mot providing and dependent care benefits

you should review form 2441 where the credit is computed. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2441.pdf

Look at the form 2441 line 6  ...  enter the  lesser of lines 3-4-5 ... so if line 3 is $3000 for one child or $6000 for 2 or more kids then the earned income for each spouse must be at least the amount on line 3. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies