Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What fees and shipping costs are tax deductible?

For a reselling business (buying items to resell on websites such as Ebay and Poshmark) are the shipping costs to ship the item to the buyer tax deductible-- even if the buyer paid you money for the shipping costs? 

Also, are Ebay fees and Poshmark fees (and other reselling website fees for selling something on it) tax deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, shipping costs to ship resale items to buyers are a business expenses.  If the item sells for $50, for example, and shipping cost is $5, you would report $55 in revenue (amount paid to you by customer) then report $5 to 'Shipping Costs' on your Schedule C. 

Your Ebay/Poshmark fees are also an expense. You can enter them under 'Other Common Business Expenses' as 'Commissions'. 

Here's more info on Business Income and Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

you include the amount received for those costs in revenue and then you deduct what you paid as an expense. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, shipping costs to ship resale items to buyers are a business expenses.  If the item sells for $50, for example, and shipping cost is $5, you would report $55 in revenue (amount paid to you by customer) then report $5 to 'Shipping Costs' on your Schedule C. 

Your Ebay/Poshmark fees are also an expense. You can enter them under 'Other Common Business Expenses' as 'Commissions'. 

Here's more info on Business Income and Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How to treat "handling" portion in "shipping and handling". I usually adding $1-1.50 as handling cost, covering my labor/time, printing shipping labels and so on, but deduct only actial expenses on shipping, taking this $1 as profit. Should i deduct it somehow as well? Thanks! 

@Ly29042003   Sorry no.  You can only deduct the actual expenses you paid.  Yes it will be part of your profit.  You can not deduct your own labor or time.

just additional profit over and above the actual cost of the labels and printing them. 

Thanks you, I feel the same way, or it will be a double dip in expenses. The lady from another forum sent me to read the IRS to support her opinion that you can deduct it.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies