killerj89

What constitutes legal separation?

What constitutes legal separation?

A legal separation is a court-ordered agreement in which a married couple lives separate lives, usually by living apart. The separation court order may specify financial obligations, child custody and visitation agreements, and child support.

What constitutes legal separation?

For what reason?  More information is needed, why are you asking?

What constitutes legal separation?

@Critter-3 wrote:

Yes, but if this is for "considered unmarried" so the taxpayer can file as single, I am not aware of any state that has a version of legal separation that actually satisfies this rule.  

What constitutes legal separation?

A few states do have such a thing as a legal separation ... I know Florida does not. 

It is sort of like a "Pre-Divorce"  and must be ordered by the courts.