Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mbreaux

We want to itemize deductions instead of using the Standard Deduction. I chose Itemized, but it keeps going back to Standard even when I click on Change My Deduction.

Our filing status is married filing jointly, our federal refund is $0.00, and we owe $0.00 in taxes.  Our itemized deductions (not estimates), according to what we input on Turbotax, are $43,784.  We used itsdeductible throughout the year to track charitable giving and imported that information.  We had high medical expenses ($25,192), paid property taxes ($3,378), and gave to our church ($15, 214).  These are the final totals that take into account what is actually eligible to be deducted.   

We want to itemize deductions this year instead of using the $27,700 Standard Deduction.  On the screen where I'm asked which deduction I want to go with, I chose Itemized. Turbotax keeps going back to Standard Deduction even when I click on Change My Deduction.  The screen actually says, “By choosing Standard Deduction you will receive a great refund.”  Of course, that is not true.  

We want to itemize because in Wisconsin we can claim the Homestead Credit and an itemized deduction credit.  That can only happen if we itemize on our federal taxes.  The Turbotax system is not letting us itemize.  Last year’s taxes are similar to this year for us.  We chose Itemized Deductions easily last year with the Turbotax Online.  No glitches.  I thought taxpayers could actually choose if they want to itemize or not.  Turbotax isn't giving us a choice.  Are others having issues with this screen and link?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

We want to itemize deductions instead of using the Standard Deduction. I chose Itemized, but it keeps going back to Standard even when I click on Change My Deduction.

You have posted about this in another thread, but now you are including some details that were left out before.   You say you have zero tax due, and zero refund.  What income did you enter?  And what is on line 12 of your Form 1040?

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mbreaux

Thank you for responding again!  The total income on Line 9 is $25,356 which is a pension.  My husband started receiving Social Security in July last year and his amount on Line 6a is $8,980.  It looks like that wasn't enough for us to have to pay taxes on.  So, nothing was withheld from either throughout the year, but we also don't owe for either at tax time.  The amount listed on Line 12 of Form 1040 is $27,700 which is the Standard Deduction.

Last year we also had no refunds and no tax due, but we did receive a Wisconsin Homestead Credit of $924.  Our income qualifies again this year for that credit, but we have to itemize on the federal taxes.  As I said before, the system won't let us.  Kind of frustrating since it's pretty much the same tax situation as last year, and we had no problems.  Can you help us any further?  

Thank you!  

What is on line 11?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mbreaux

Line 11           Subtract line 10 from line 9.  This is your adjusted gross income.           $25,356.

I think the software is just going to default to the standard deduction because --according to you--- you have not added any taxable income and will not get a refund or owe.   There is nothing from which to provide any refund to you, whether you use itemized or standard deduction.  

Further.....I am puzzled by the numbers.  The amounts you say that you paid in 2023 far exceed the amount of income you receive.  So it does make me wonder if you had some other income that you have not entered or forgot about.  I am trying to figure out how you paid over $43K of expenses on an income of roughly $25K.   Did you miss entering some income?

As for WI-----you have entered itemized deductions into the software--even though the Form 1040 is using your standard deduction.  Information flows from the federal return to the state return.  There are many people in that situation----although they cannot use itemized deductions on the federal, if the state allows itemized deductions the deductions flow to the state return. WI is one of those states.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies