Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We're helping our non-dependent son pay MD bills. Will he have to pay taxes on cash we give him? Will his getting $$ from us affect his ability to deduct health expenses?

Does he have to declare the cash from us on his tax returns and pay tax on it? If he got the cash from us, can he still deduct the medical expenses on HIS taxes. (I know we can't claim them .on ours.)
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We're helping our non-dependent son pay MD bills. Will he have to pay taxes on cash we give him? Will his getting $$ from us affect his ability to deduct health expenses?

Any type of gift received from another individual is not reported on a tax return, regardless of the amount received.  Since the gift is not reported it is not taxable income.

He can claim the medical expenses he paid for during the year on his tax return.  However, for tax year 2019 and beyond only the medical expenses greater than 10% of AGI are deductible on Schedule A.

TomD8
Level 15

If your gifts to your son exceed $15,000 in total during the year, you (the donor) may have to file a gift tax return, IRS Form 709.  This is a required form for reporting purposes.  Actual gift tax is not due until the lifetime amount exceeds $11.18 million.

For more details, see Who Must File on page 2 of this reference:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i709.pdf

Note that your spouse may also gift $15,000 or less without a reporting requirement, so that the two of you may gift $30,000 in total without having to file Form 709.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies