• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lsienk
Level 2

We live 6.5 miles from my son's middle school. His bus driver was fired and because of existing bus driver shortages I will have to drive him. Can I deduct mileage?

The bus driver shortage has been going on since schools reopened, but now our bus route has been affected and we have no idea when a new bus driver will be available for the route. Since we pay state and county taxes presumably for this service, is there a way to claim mileage for each trip we have to take in lieu of receiving these services, even if it's just on my state return? If it helps, I live in MD.
2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

We live 6.5 miles from my son's middle school. His bus driver was fired and because of existing bus driver shortages I will have to drive him. Can I deduct mileage?

Sorry, there is no deduction for personal school-related travel expenses.  Remember that even people who have no children pay school-related taxes.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
lsienk
Level 2

Of course. Thanks for the reminder 😊

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v