• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brewgirl68-gmail

We just refinanced my boyfriends home & added me to the mortgage. We consolidated some debt & got a $40k check to pay the debts. Will this count as income for both of us?

4 Replies
DoninGA
Level 15

We just refinanced my boyfriends home & added me to the mortgage. We consolidated some debt & got a $40k check to pay the debts. Will this count as income for both of us?

A Cash Out refinance is not reported as taxable income on either of your tax returns.

VolvoGirl
Level 15

No loan proceeds are not income.  

Mike9241
Level 15

something else to be aware of. interest on the portion of the refi over and above the previous mortgage will not be deductible since it appears it was used for personal purposes.  

Carl
Level 15

Borrowed money is not your money. Never was, is not now and never will be. (Unless you default on the loan.) Therefore nothing concerning that money is reported on your tax return.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v