Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >

brewgirl68-gmail

We just refinanced my boyfriends home & added me to the mortgage. We consolidated some debt & got a $40k check to pay the debts. Will this count as income for both of us?

A Cash Out refinance is not reported as taxable income on either of your tax returns.

No loan proceeds are not income.  

Mike9241

something else to be aware of. interest on the portion of the refi over and above the previous mortgage will not be deductible since it appears it was used for personal purposes.  

Carl

Borrowed money is not your money. Never was, is not now and never will be. (Unless you default on the loan.) Therefore nothing concerning that money is reported on your tax return.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~