Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

terry71

We hold the mortgage for our daughters home, she pays us P&I and we give her a 1098. How do we file our end of the 1098 with the IRS for the interest income we had?

I heard something about a form 1096 but it was confusing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

We hold the mortgage for our daughters home, she pays us P&I and we give her a 1098. How do we file our end of the 1098 with the IRS for the interest income we had?

Yes, you will need to send form 1096 along with the 1098 to the IRS to report the interest income you received from your daughter. 

You will need to print and mail this form, along with a copy of the 1098, to the IRS at the address listed in the instruction section of the form based on the state you live in.  

When you fill out form 1096, you will be the filer. You will not need to enter the EIN in box 1, just your social security number in box 2.  Seeing that this was a mortgage, box 4 also would not be relevant to you so you will leave this blank. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
terry71

Thank you, exactly what I needed to know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies