nmkankan

Unclaiming dependents to collect stimulus 2020

I'm filing 2020 taxes on extension. My AGI is >$450000. I'm not eligible for stimulus payments, child credits, etc. I have one child born 2019 (and one born 2021).

Can I not claim my 2019 child and file a separate tax return for her. She has about $500 in dividends. Since no one is claiming her as a dependent, she should be able to collect the $1200+$600 stimulus payments from 2020, correct?

No.  The child would have to indicate on their tax return that they CAN be claimed as a dependent even if no one is claiming them as a dependent.  So since they can be claimed as a dependent they are not eligible for the stimulus payments.

No, unless you want your two year old to commit tax fraud by preparing a tax return for her that says she cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent.    Dependents cannot receive stimulus payments.   It is inconceivable that a two year old with $500 in income could not be claimed as someone else's dependent.   Your scheme will not work.