turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

Turboxtax PLEASE FIX the two 1098 import with refinance bug for CA residents

This is a known error with TurboTax that is currently being worked on. See this link for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ari1982
Returning Member

Hello

I received an email today claiming this issue had been  fixed however the solution outlined here does NOT work https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-handle-multiple-1098-mortgage-for...

I refinanced my mortgage with the same lender and as soon as I enter the 2nd 1098 my taxed due increase. please advise. 

How do I handle multiple 1098 mortgage forms?

If you have multiple 1098 mortgage forms, you’ll enter them one at a time. After going through the steps with the first one, you can add a lender when you get to the Mortgage deduction summary screen. (In the case of a refinance, it's best to enter the 1098 from your original loan before the 1098 from your refinance.)

But, if they're both from the same lender, and one of them has the “Corrected” checkbox marked at the top, enter the corrected 1098 and discard or shred the other one.

What do I do if I have multiple 1098s from refinancing my home debt?

If your total home debt is under $375,000 ($250,000 for married filing separate) there is nothing new for you to do in 2020. Enter each 1098 as you normally would.

Home Debt Over $375,000

Under tax law, you are limited on the amount of home interest you can deduct. The limit is based on the loan amount and date of the origination of debt. We want to make sure we calculate this correctly for you. 

If you refinanced last year, you’ll have a Form 1098 from your previous lender and one from the lender you refinanced with. You’ll need both forms. 

Follow these steps to enter your mortgage information:

1. Gather all of your 1098 forms related to your refinance (the form from your original lender and the form from your new lender)
  2. Grab a calculator and add together the box 1 amount from each form. Enter the total in TurboTax as Box 1 Mortgage interest.
  3. Add the Box 5 amount from each form and enter the total as Box 5 Mortgage insurance premiums. (If you weren’t required to pay mortgage interest, these boxes will be blank on your forms and you won’t enter anything.)
  4. Add the property tax paid from each form and enter it in the Property (real estate) taxes box.

Next, finish adding info for boxes 2, 3, 7, and 11 using Form 1098 for the original loan.

What if I have more than two 1098s?

You should combine all of the 1098s directly related to the refinance and enter it as one 1098.  An example of this is if you refinanced two loans into one loan. Any 1098s not directly related to the refinance should get entered separately.

What if I paid points?

Points on Loans Paid Off in 2020: Enter the points on your 1098 you have started and mark you paid off the loan when promoted.

Points on Loans on New Loans: You will want to enter a separate 1098 to cover these points paid. When prompted, enter 0.00 for Boxes 1, 2, 5, and the Property (real estate) taxes box, and checkbox 7, as you’ve already entered the details on your first 1098. For Box 3, add the date in 2020 when the loan originated.

Ari1982
Returning Member

It seems this is a software bug that is unable to correctly handle refinance of Jumbo mortgages taken before Oct 2017. 

If I read this correctly what you are suggesting is to report two 1098's (original and refi) as one 1098 by adding the interest values and using the original loan amount / origination date. Is this compliant with IRS guidelines i.e. reporting one 1098 while actually having received 2? what if you get audited ? 

Although this workaround can correct the return value I can see how it will create problems going forward. next year the 1098 issued by the lender will have the refinance date in BOX 3. the software will then again cap the deduction amount to 750K limit not being able to account for the refinancing. How is this going to be handled and why can't turbo tax software simply fix this bug while correctly entering two 1098's? 

thanks 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with their home mortgage average balance. This can cause the home mortgage interest to be incorrectly limited.  This may be affecting your tax return.

Please sign up for email notifications when an update related to this issue is available.

See this TurboTax Help.

Nima1
Returning Member

Same problem here, it is mid February and the problem is not fixed

This has been going on for years! I am glad I am not the only one super frustrated with Turbotax this year. I have spent way too much time with their glitches and having to find workarounds for their bad code! I too will be moving to another vendor next year. Enough is enough! 

Anyway, I went in today and they suggest adding together all loans, which I have done. However, it is still picking up two loans and adding them together and then saying I am over the limit. I overrode the interest deduction to be the correct amount. It is only the Home Mortgage worksheet that shows the wrong amounts. I am hopeful that CA will understand TTs software issue and not hold up my refund. This year was rampant with refinances in CA. 

It's my current understanding that Intuit is not ever planning to fix this bug.  They closed my very long thread on the topic to further posts

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/bug-with-refinance-on-a-large-mo...

Ari1982
Returning Member

I am waiting a few more days, if not fixed I will delete my account and move to a real CPA. it is frustrating 

Debratax

Has this been fixed as of 3/11/21? 

If my federal taxes appear correct, will be CA also be correct?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

This can easily be fixed by combining the two 1098's.  When you record a loan balance between the two balances, enter the average mortgage loan balance between the two amounts.  Don't add the amounts together or else your mortgage interest will be limited.

henryy81

I do NOT think this is a decent solution. If there are two 1098 from two different lenders. One is the original loan, the other is the refinanced loan. How can I combine the two??? Turbo Tax should fix this bug, not just let their customers to "fix" the bug by themselves!!! I am very disappointed.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No this is the workaround solution that is recommended. There is one loan balance and you will combine all the other elements of the 1098. The lender information does not get reported to the IRS so this is not a critical piece of information to be reported. 

henryy81

Why TurboTax cannot fix it but their customers have to do a workaround? This issue had been reported more than 3 months ago, I do not think technically this kind of bug cannot be fixed in 100 days. Can you please give us a reason?

Hi @DaveF1006 - I made the mistake and filed 2020 tax returns with the wrong numbers due to the TT bug. Give your recommendation, would your solution work based on refinancing a jumbo loan in 2020 and changing lenders?  Also, since my loan originated prior to the tax changes in Dec 2019, how do I correctly make this note so that I am not limited to deducting only up to a $750k mortgage balance?  Thanks so much.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies