Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax reported my CA tax withholding incorrect as I got letter from IRS with correct with holdings. How can I confirm turbotax CA tax with holding amount?

Use desktop version of TB hoem & business for 2023.

Where can I find CA tax with holding reported by turbotax and how to confirm whether it is correct or has mistake.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Turbotax reported my CA tax withholding incorrect as I got letter from IRS with correct with holdings. How can I confirm turbotax CA tax with holding amount?

Look at your California form 540 lines 71-73 to see all of your tax withheld. Compare with your forms. 

The IRS does not send any type of letter concerning state taxes withheld.

If you are a California resident then the letter was sent by the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB)

Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode click on Tax Payments on the left side of the screen.  This will open the Tax Payments Worksheet which shows all the federal and state tax payment you reported on your tax return.

Yes, line 71 on 540 is incorrect in my turbotax tax forms. It is different than box 17 of my W-2. HWhy did turbotax made thsi mistake?

@aroraanish wrote:

Yes, line 71 on 540 is incorrect in my turbotax tax forms. It is different than box 17 of my W-2. HWhy did turbotax made thsi mistake?

TurboTax can only report what the user of the software entered or that was imported.  Look at the W-2 you entered in Forms mode.  Box 17 probably shows an incorrect amount.

Did you import the W-2 or enter the W-2 manually?

I had tax withholding on W-2 as well as 1099-NEC. CA tax board didn't see my 1099-NEC with holding.

turbotax is correct. Why CA tax board didn't see 1099-NEC? How to convey to them this info now?

California should also have a copy of the Form 1099-NEC with the state taxes withheld in box 5 of the form.

You will need to contact the CA FTB and speak with an agent to get this problem corrected.

Go to this website for contact phone numbers - https://www.ftb.ca.gov/help/contact/phone-fax.html

You had withholding in box 4 on the 1099NEC?  That seems odd for self employment income.    The payer took withholding out?  I would also ask the payer if, when and how they sent it to California.  

TomD8
Level 15

Box 17 of your W-2 will only show federal and state taxes withheld by your W-2 employer.  It will not include any taxes withheld on a 1099-NEC.  If your 1099-NEC payor withheld CA state tax, the withheld amount would appear in Box 5 of your 1099-NEC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies