Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax is automatically making my state return use itemized deductions, but I need to file the standard deduction. How can I change this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is automatically making my state return use itemized deductions, but I need to file the standard deduction. How can I change this?

What state are your working on? Do you need to use the state standard deduction because you are married, filing separately?

For most states, TurboTax will give you the better of the standard or itemized deductions and will not give you the option to change to the worse deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Arkansas.  I have to take the standard deduction because my wife also takes the standard deduction (we are married filing separately).

turbo tax didn’t give me the option of choosing the standard deduction.  Unfortunately I couldn’t discover this until after I’d already paid for the state return - only then could I look at the form and see the state return had itemized deductions.

im very disappointed.  For a company that says it knows taxes, the fact that it couldn’t do this correctly is very troublesome.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies