I was never asked that question. so I have to override the HSA form for it to be accurate. Where does it ask that question in the software?
The question is asked immediately (or almost immediately, it might be the second screen) after the three screens that are used to collect the 1099-SA form's data entry.
To get back there, do a Search for "1099-sa" (lower case, without the double quotes), and jump to the result.
Click Edit at Your HSA Summary. When you get to the table of 1099-SAs (maybe just one), click on Edit for the appropriate 1099-SA (if more than one).
Go through (and after) the 3 1099-SA screens until you get to the one headed "Did you spend your HSA money on medical expenses only?"
1. You do the Search for 1099-SA as described above and jump to the result.
2. You see the HSA Summary screen. This happens when you have already entered HSA data; if you haven't, then you get the "landing page" that asks you to tell TurboTax about your medical accounts.
3. If you are on the HSA Summary, click on Edit. If you are on the landing page, click on Continue (I think).
4. The next screen will be the table of 1099-SAs that you have entered - assuming you have already entered one.
5. Edit the 1099-SA in question - surely you have already entered the 1099-SA, right?
6. The first screen asks for who the 1099-SA belongs to, what the name of the Payer and the like.
7. The next screen asks for your personal information
8. The next screen asks for the numbers off of the 1099-SA, like box 1, box 2, etc.
9. The next screen in my test is "Did you spend your HSA money on medical expenses only?"
Now that I do this, I am suspecting that you don't have a distribution code of '1' on your 1099-SA - that could explain why you never see the screen. What is your distribution code?
And if it is '1', at what step above did your experience deviate?