turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bbqking692020
Returning Member

Turbo tax does not allow me to add medical expense for State Tax

I want to deduct medical expenses (ie prescription drugs and Dr copay) from my State Taxes but when I try to enter them into Turbo tax federal deduction and credits/ 

I never get the chance to enter the information.  It says the following after asking about High Deductible Health Plan, it never ask about copays or prescription drugs.

Thanks, we got all your Medical Expense info

Right now, the Standard Deduction saves you the most on taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Verify you have selected the right topic/place to enter medical expenses.  In the federal "Deductions & Credits" section scroll down to the "Medical" dropdown.  "Start/Revisit" "Medical Expenses". Any medical expenses that might apply to your state return will flow automatically from these federal entries.   

Your post sounds like you may have entered the HSA, MSA contributions topic earlier.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bbqking692020
Returning Member

Following your instructions I click on update  button ( Medical Expenses ) under the Medical section and Turbo tax states:

Thanks, we got all your Medical Expense info

Right now, the Standard Deduction saves you the most on taxes.
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Let's work around the program. Go back to federal deductions and go down to charity. Add a crazy number like $100,000 in charity and the program will decide you can itemize. Enter your medical expenses, mileage to doctors and medicine pick up, dentist, vision, etc. Then go back to charity and take out the entry.

Reference: Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses

bbqking692020
Returning Member

Increased 1 of my charity contributions to 100k went back to medical expenses and now I get 

We checked, and this deduction won't affect your taxes
We'll keep looking for other tax breaks for you.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Which makes sense for federal, and it should have flowed through to the state. Are you good with your state forms now?

bbqking692020
Returning Member

It did not, but after I removed the 1095-a I can now put in prescription expenses.  Hopefully i can put the 1095-a back in

DawnC
Expert Alumni

The questions about the HDHP are from the HSA section.   You have to go to itemized deductions to enter your medical expenses.   To enter your:

• Medical expenses - search Schedule A and use the jump to link, you will land on RX costs
  • Form 1095-A - search 1095-A and use the jump to link, you will be able to enter your form after answering Yes. 

You can do these in any order and go back and forth if needed.  

mpb1
Returning Member

I ran into the same problem as bbqking692020.  When I try to change the amount of my medical expenses, Turbo Tax tells me:  "We checked, and this deduction won't affect your taxes"

In other words, I never get a chance to change my medical expense amount.  I think this is a bug in TurboTax.

DawnC answered: "Medical expenses - search Schedule A and use the jump to link, you will land on RX costs"

I had to explore a bit to discover what I think DawnC is suggesting.

Here are detailed instruction of what I did:

Go to TurboTax's "View" menu and select "Forms".  (Alternatively, press Control + 2)

Then in the left hand column, which lists all the forms, find "Schedule A", and then below "Schedule A" is "Medical Wks".  Click on "Medical Wks".

The Medical Expenses Worksheet will appear, and you can directly enter numbers into it.

Hope this helps.

(Aside: In my case, my medical expenses were not high enough to change my taxes.  However, I can enter a fictitiously high number, and see that the taxes do change.  So it appears to be working.)

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Your way will work too, but I was referencing search in the interview from the magnifying glass.   Another thing to check while you are in Forms Mode:  Go to Forms Mode and scroll to the Info Wks page and select it.    Scroll down to Part VI.   Under Standard Deduction/Itemized Deductions.   Remove the 3rd X (if it is there), and you should then be able to switch your deduction.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies