Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RoboticStranger
Returning Member

Turbo Tax 2023 Bug: Not allowing Residential Energy Credit from Solar for Second Home

I am trying to claim the Residential Clean Energy Credit (Part I on Form 5695) for my second home (not my main home).    This (Part I) should be allowed per the IRS form 5695 instructions here, and I quote - see below.  Part II of 5695 is allowed for main only homes only, but that is Part II.  

Qualified solar electric property costs.

Qualified solar electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the United States. No costs relating to a solar panel or other property installed as a roof (or portion thereof) will fail to qualify solely because the property constitutes a structural component of the structure on which it is installed. Some solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles serve the function of both traditional roofing and solar electric collectors, and thus serve functions of both solar electric generation and structural support. These solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles can qualify for the credit. This is in contrast to structural components such as a roof's decking or rafters that serve only a roofing or structural function and thus do not qualify for the credit. The home doesn't have to be your main home.

The problem is that TurboTax incorrectly lumps Part I and Part II into the "main home qualification" - see the screenshot from TT.   TT does not distinguish between Part I (Residential Clean Energy Credit) which is OK for second homes, and Part II (Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit) which is NOT OK for second homes.

If I am correct - what to do?  This bug makes a big difference.   Can TT release an updated version to fix this or must I move away from TT?

turbo-tax-screenshot.jpgirs-5695-screenshot.jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax 2023 Bug: Not allowing Residential Energy Credit from Solar for Second Home

Would you be able to send me a diagnostic copy of your return so we can further investigate this issue?  You can do this by taking the following steps:

TurboTax Online

Tools

Tax Tools

Share My File with Agent

then note the token number and respond to me with the number

TurboTax Desktop

Send Tax File to Agent

Send

Then respond with the token number to this message

The diagnostic copy does not include any of your personal info, it just includes numbers and forms so we can help solve the issue. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RoboticStranger
Returning Member

Hi Vanessa -

Thanks. I did the second option, and my token number is:  1185648.  

PS: I made a dummy copy of my return, fake data, except what I tried to do in the Home Energy Credits.  It takes me thru the questions, and as soon as I say "No, these were not to my main home" --> I get a blanket Energy Credit = $0.

Regards,

Dean.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Thank you.  We'll be looking into the issue and will reply once we determine what is happening.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yeah, that form has been screwed up since they released it.  They already know it is screwed up, but haven't fixed it yet.

riodelmar

The screw up with the form has cost me in the past as I was not able to claim the tax credit.  How do you claim it for install in 2017 that guidance allows for?

RoboticStranger
Returning Member

Vanessa - Any update?

RoboticStranger
Returning Member

FYI : this has been fixed in the latest Turbo Tax Update of of 3/2/2024.  

Thank you Intuit!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies