turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tuition for Spring 2021

I was not enrolled in college during 2020. However, I applied for graduate school for Spring 2021 and paid the tuition in December 2020. I do not have a 1098 form as I do not qualify to receive one. Can I claim the paid tuition on my 2021 taxes?

Just to add, when I attempted to claim this, it asked questions as if it was assumed I was enrolled at some point during the 2020 school year. Example, asking if I was enrolled full-time, part-time etc.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Tuition for Spring 2021

No, any tuition paid in 2020 should be claimed on your 2020 return. You can not claim it on your 2021 tax return even if the tuition is for spring 2021.

Credits and Deductions available to help with Education cost.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Tuition for Spring 2021

Yes. If you were billed and allowed to pay in December, for tax purpose you are considered enrolled.  You can claim the tuition credit for 2020.  Answer that you were enrolled.

Since you actually paid in 2020, technically  you would not be allowed to claim the credit, for that payment, on your 2021 return.  When it asks if you had a 1098-T, answer that you qualify for an exception.

That said, it's unusual that you didn't get a 1098-T, since you paid.  You may need to wait a few more days.  Check you student account on line; it may be posted there

Tuition for Spring 2021

Maybe I've worded this incorrectly. I paid spring 2021 tuition in December 2020. I am filing taxes this month (January 2021) for the 2020 year. 

I have checked online and it does not show I have a 1098 available.

Tuition for Spring 2021

I don't think I worded my question as clearly as I should have. I paid spring 2021 tuition in December 2020. I am filing my 2020 taxes this month (January 2021).

Hal_Al
Level 15

Tuition for Spring 2021

One more technicality: check your school account statement.  Did your school credit your payment in December or January.  If you account wasn't credited in December, you didn't really pay in 2020.  You have to wait til next year to claim it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies