Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT2021 Bug with Deductions?

The desktop app TT Premier 2021 does not seem to take account into Mortgage Interest.  I have a loan that is $530k refinanced/sold (got multiple 1098s).  The total interest is roughly $12k.  But TT says to use standard deduction. On the Deduction summary screen, under Itemized Deductions, it list everything as $0

Itemized Deductions: 2020    2021

mortgage interest  $###  $0

real estate taxes     $###  $0

State and Local Income or Sales Taxes  $###  $0

Vehicle Registration Fees   $### $0

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

Make sure that you have the latest version of TurboTax installed by clicking on Online and then Check for Updates. After doing that, try deleting your 1098s and re-entering them. If you imported them the first time, enter them manually. 

TurboTax may be miscalculating your deductible interest based on your entries, but it still would not show $0 if it was due to a miscalculation. Nonetheless, check to make sure that you answered No to Let's see if this is the most recent form for this loan for all but the most recent 1098. Make sure that every loan is secured by your main home. 

The only other thing that could be causing none of your mortgage interest to be deductible is if you indicated that you took cash out during a refinance and none of the money was used to buy, build, or improve the home. If you did take cash out during a refinance, answer the follow-up questions carefully. Any portion of the loan used to buy, build, or improve the home is deductible, but any portion used for anything else is not deductible. 

It says up-to-date.  App: 2021.r26.090; build date: Apr 14, 2022 at 7:26:12 PM.  I received four 1098s.  For the first three except the final one with latest servicer I answered:

Is the 1098 you're working on now the most recent for your loan? No

For the original loan's 1098:

Is this the original loan you used to buy your property? Yes

Right Now, the Standard Deduction saves you the most on taxes.

That phrase is what I have gotten for all of my 1098s.  Is this because the Max deduction for Fed Tax is $10k?  So standard deduction benefits me more?

Still on the Deductions & Credits summary page, I'd expect under Itemized Deductions, the following should not just list $0

Mortgage Interest,

Real Estate Taxes,

State and Local Income or Sales Taxes

Vehicle Registration Fees

State and local taxes greater than $10,000

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies